On the slopes of the Purcell Mountains near Johnson’s Landing, Patrick and Colleen own and operate 2 agri-businesses, Kootenay Joe Farm as well as Stellar Seeds. Using the 4 acre certified organic farm, vegetables and livestock (laying hens, meat birds, and dairy goats) are grown and raised with the aid of 2 employees and sold at the Kaslo Farmers’ Market. Patrick and Colleen strive to have a diversified and sustainable farm operation. The heritage and rare variety seeds produced on Kootenay Joe farm are sold via Stellar Seeds, one of Canada’s leading independent organic seed companies! Stellar Seeds can be found at retail outlets throughout BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. To learn more visit www.stellarseeds.com.
Apprenticeship Learning Opportunities:
Patrick and Colleen love what they do and enjoy sharing it with others. Since both farmers started their farming careers as apprentices, they appreciate the opportunity to work with new and transitioning farmers. An apprentice at Kootenay Joe Farm and Stellar Seeds will learn about the business of organic seed and vegetable production, livestock husbandry, the importance of value-added products, and soil management.
- available mid-April/early May until Oct.
- work 8 hours/day, 5 days a week
- get experience in all aspects of market vegetable production (seeding, planting, transplanting, weeding, harvest, etc.), as well as learn about vegetable seed production (harvest, cleaning)
- work with small livestock (chickens and goats)
- live in a beautiful, rural community with lots of hiking near-by
- room, board and small stipend (yet to be determined for 2013) included
Please contact Colleen or Patrick @ 250.366.0061 or firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are interested.